The Better Buildings Initiative is a broad, multi-strategy initiative to make commercial and industrial buildings 20% more energy efficient over the next 10 years. DOE is currently pursuing strategies across five pillars to catalyze change and accelerate private sector investment in energy efficiency.
The pillars are:
- Developing Innovative, Replicable Solutions with Market Leaders
- Making Energy Efficiency Investment Easier
- Improving Effectiveness of Federal Incentives
- Federal Government Leading by Example
- Developing a Skilled Clean Energy Workforce
A skilled and qualified workforce is key to making American buildings more energy efficient and American companies more competitive. DOE is working closely with the commercial buildings industry and other Federal agencies to develop training tools, materials, and voluntary credentialing guidelines to advance different elements of the Better Buildings Workforce Framework.