Install a distribution transformer that will reduce energy use by more than 15% using the distribution transformer specification
The Plug & Process Loads team developed a low-voltage, dry-type distribution transformer specification that outlines energy-related product requirements. Purchasers can use this document to procure high-efficiency, high-quality products from manufacturers. The specification is unique, as it provides a no-load core loss recommendation for oversized transformers that operate at sub-optimal efficiencies.
Older transformers, in a typical 45,000-square-foot office building, can consume 16,000 kWh and cost more than $1,500 in electricity costs per year. Replacing your older distribution transformer with one built according to the specification can reduce energy loss by over 15% and produce savings of $5,000 over 5 years. If widely adopted by U.S. businesses, 3.2 TWh of energy and about $310 million would be saved a year.
- Low Voltage Distribution Transformer Specification
- Low Voltage Distribution Transformer Calculator
- Consortium for Energy Efficiency: Distribution Transformer Initiative
- National Electrical Manufacturers Association: Distribution Transformer
- Department of Energy's Distribution Transformer Rulemaking